Hi...found this in my husband's Rotary bulletin on last week's speaker--

<<
Janna Lee Houfmann, from Powell Gardens, and owner of Rhythmic Medicine, a
company
promoting the healing power of music, gave an explanation and demonstration of
the calming effect of music.  She has been a music therapist since 1978.  She
teaches music as a relation technique plus other stress reducing techniques.

A research study in Baltimore has established that 1/2 hour of classical music
has the same relaxation effect as 10 mg of Valium.  Our bodies entrain to
rhythms
 A music tract of 60 beats per minute can lower blood pressure.  Health care
providers are using headphones with calm music in recovery rooms.

Music that is too complex will not produce relaxation even if the music is
played
softly.  Peaks and valleys of the music will cause the body to be expecting
change
rather than to relax.

Jana has produced tapes and CD's to teach her method.  Her primary customers
are health care providers who use her products and techniques with their
patients.

Barbara Blake-Krebs in KS