-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: LTD
Date: Mon, 05 Apr 1999 11:35:02 -0500
From: "Charles T. Meyer, M.D." <[log in to unmask]>
To: Karen deGraaf <[log in to unmask]>

Karen,
It sounds as though you've got a ADA Case and should consult with a
lawyer who
specializes in Disability cases.  I don't know for sure with LTD
contracts-  it
probably varies depending on the company but certainly with Worker's
Comp cases
the cost of the premiums increases depending on the number of claims.
With the
Americans with Disabilities act the are REQUIRED to make accommodation
for your
disability.  It is quite common for companies that are facing potential
claims
to suddenly discover that they don't have need for the position so as
not to
need to make accommodations.  I would guess that the fact that you don't
have
a  clear job description might actually work in your favor since a good
lawyer
night be able to say that since they didn't define the job well then you
can do
other things that don't require the cognitive speed that you require.

Do you have anything in writing that indicates what and when you told
them?  Do
you have anything in your initial employment packet regarding  LTD
Benefits.
Are you a member of a Union or other collective bargaining group.  This
one
certainly sounds really suspect that your PD is playing a major role in
your
being laid off and I would involve a lawyer with experience in ADA
discrimination cases immediately. He might be able to head off a
confrontation
and keep you out of court or help you gather evidence now that will be
useful
if you do have to take it to court.

Good luck and please keep me informed  about ho it is going.

Charlie

--

Charles T. Meyer,  M.D.
Middleton (Madison), Wisconsin