My name is Jane.  I have been a member of the listserv for several
months--initially to get information for my dad (73/2).  I am writing now for
a friend who lives (computerless) on a small island in the Caribbean.  She
was diagnosed (I'm not sure of her age--late 50's early 60's)last fall while
visiting family in New York.  I believe her symptoms were loss of balance and
reduced mobility in her left arm (particularly while walking).  She has been
on Sinemet CR, 2 x daily, 50-200) with good results.  She is, however,
recently experiencing swelling in her left ankle and cramping of her left
foot.  Her question re: these symptoms is:  are they PD symptoms or side
effects of med?  (The doctors on the island are not able to answer her.)I
have checked the archives and copied several messages and have also "been to"
the Dystonia-Foundation site.  From what I have read it appears that the foot
cramping would probably be PD, but I'm not sure about the edema?  (I saw
messages that spoke to blood pressure, lymphatic system breakdown and
possible side effects of Mirapex and/or Requip).

She also asks "Do right handed people get Parkinson's on the left side and
left handed people on the right side?"

I'm sure these topics have been covered before, but she (we) would appreciate
any more info anyone can pass along.  Thanks.