Dear Hilary:  I've wondered myself why I hadn't heard of more users of
Cogentin-
my husband was started on it alone, when DX in l986.  For two or three years
it
kept his tremors to almost nothing, and he  had increased up to 8mg/day.  When
the rigidity and falling started he finally managed to get on Sinimet
(earlier tries had
made him terrribly sick) , which we then started reducing the Cogentin, just
because we have felt all along, the least medicine to do the job is the best.
 He
finally got down to lmg/day, as we increased Sinimet and have tried  agonists
and
Eldepryl (bummer for him).  His neurologist now says the Cogentin shouldn't
be
doing him any good, wants him to stop if can, but in three efforts to quite,
the
tremors have returned.
     Now that I hear that others have had trouble with getting off it, we may
try a
more gradual attempt and watch for other withdrawel symptoms.  We've always
been aware that Cogentin can cause hallucinations, give dry mouth, and
contributes
to constipation.
     Thanks all for the info- wanted to contribute our experiences since he's
been on
it for l2 yr. now.
                                                          Marie & Judd