Hi y'all:
Delete this  if you've already seen it...I don't know if it made it
to the list, but, would like to introduce myself.
I apologize if this is a repeat, but, it took a bit of effort typing one handed.

I am Ray Strand, from western Minnesota, USA, not far from the great plains
of the Dakotas. I live on the farm where I grew up...
but, I've lived in Minneapolis,MN, New Orleans,LA, and Rochester, NY,
back when I used to work in clinical/research laboratories.

I received a nice welcome from Barbara Patterson and decided to write
immediately...plenty of time to lurk, later, and get to know you all too.
Here's some info and backgound.

 I  also participate in a couple of newsgroups like Artmetal, dome building
and technical theatre...which are my current interests.

Last Friday I was diagnosed with Parkinsons at a referral to a neurologist in
Minneapolis.  I have been taking Sinemet 25/100 for a week now.  I think
I've experienced  most of the side effects and it has been an emotional roller
coaster.
Also, thank goodnesss, there has been some improvement in my condition.

I have actually been experiencing undiagnosed Parkinson symptoms  for over a
year.
When I initially saw my local doctor,  I had stiffness in my left hand and was
tested for
carpal tunnel syndrome (I'm a furniture artist/sculptor and theatre set builder
and work with my hands a lot). No nerve damage in my arm/hand...puzzling.
I also,stressed my back, salvaging flooring from an old farmhouse
and had developed a limp.I was temporarily helped by a chiropracter.
I think  my right side got tired and stressed trying to make up for the weaker
left side.
Lately, the limp wouldn't go away, and I became clumsy, and tripped on stairs
and over things. I thought I had nerve damage to my legs. Friends were
concerned and told me that I may have had a stroke.  I was moving slower--
and more cautiously...scarey.

I have a part time job at the University of Minnesota,Morris
as supervisor of the Theatre Scene Shop.  I oversee up to 70 students (not all
at once) that do set construction as part of their class requirement. We use a
lot of
power tools.  None of the students or I, had ever had an accident  in the 5
years
I've been there, but, I was worried.  Finally and sadly, I gave notice and
quit.  As it turned
out, my boss wouldn't let me quit... and several others in the chain of command
that
know me.  The resignation didn't get anywhere in the beauracracy, until I saw
the
neurologist.  After about the fourth revision of that notice...I am on personal
leave
until next fall.

My father died last October, he was 87.   Upon reflecting, I am convinced, he
was plagued
by undiagnosed Parkinsons symptoms.  I am 47, married to a wonderful woman, and
have two sons, 3 and 13.

I don't know what the future will be like, but, I would like to face it with
hope and courage.

I wish everyone a Happy Easter, however you may celebrate this time of year.
My religion is Buddhism , though I grew up as a Protestant on the prairie.

                             Ray Strand
                 mailto:[log in to unmask]

...on the edge  of the prairie abyss ......................