Hi,

Barb said:

>Let's err on the side of caution and keep the membership of the
>kids' list confidential / private / protected.  If there are archives,
>they too should be locked.

Good point, we should setup the list to be more secure in this case. How about:

        - people can only join if approved (by someone? listowner?)
        - new members get their first few posts moderated by the listowner
        - the archives can only be viewed by list members (who must use a
          password)
        - the members list can't be seen by anyone
        - list welcome document should make it clear that this is a Kids list,
          by joining you agree you are who you say you are, etc. (therefore
          ensuring that action could be taken against people who try and
          infiltrate the list)

That should be enough? Obviously depending on what the members want, there
can be varying degrees of adult presence. I would suspect there is a
tradeoff between respecting the list/community's privacy and making sure
its a safe, helpful place to be.

BTW, for the curious, I used to be a Parkinson's kid myself, which is how I
got into this game to start with. Since then my Mum's died and I've "grown
up" myself (all of 18 years old!), but I guess that aspect of your life
never really leaves you.

Of course, no one's actually asked me to create a Kids list, so I'll go
back to sleep until someone does :-)

Simon
--------- My opinions are my own, NIP's opinions are theirs ----------
Simon J. Coles                                 Email: [log in to unmask]
New Information Paradigms                  Work Phone: +44 1344 753703
http://www.nipltd.com/                     Work Fax:   +44 1344 772510
=============== Life is too precious to take seriously ===============