On Sun 11 Apr, E. Jack Savely wrote:

Hello Jack,    thanks for replying; We seem to be generating a little more
interest now.  First I apologise for accusing you of using the big boot
type of dosage of Sinemet - Clearly, you do not. In fact, I suspect
that you are in an area where a little change is indicated.:

  There are certain milestones along the Sinemet trail, namely
1/ the popint where the amount of Sinemet required to stop the tremor,
exceeds the level which causes Dyskinesias. In the days when levodopa was
the only really effective drug, that would be the end of the usefulness
of levodopa. However, this is where the Dopamine agonists make their
entry.

2/ The point where  the Dopamine Agonists, combined with Levodopa, cannot
control the tremor, without causing Dyskinesias.  The limit of this
region is not yet defined - It depends on the maximum safe dose of agonist.
The agonist which I have been using for the last 6 or so years is Pergolide
(Permax). The maximum safe dose of agonists is in effect being defined on
the hoof by a few people who have no real choice. In my case, I am up to 5
mg per day of Permax, but I am told that some people has gone beyond 12 mg
which I find comforting.

The important point to remember is that if you have passed point 1/ as I
suspect Jeanette has,  you can only tolerate a certain amount of levodopa.
In my case, it is 37 mg per hour. If I take more than 37mg/hr I cannot
control the resulting Dyskinesia by taking more agonist. what you must do
is back off your levodopa to the point where you do not get Dyskinesias,
then increase the agonist until the tremors stop. Over the coming years,
as you continue to lose the dopamine producing cells,  you need more
agonist, but do not gulp the lot, only take as much as you must and review
the situation eery 6 months.
Regards,

By the way Jack, are you aware that all your messages come through on my
internet programme with double-spaced lines?  (No one else does that!)

--
Brian Collins  <[log in to unmask]>