hi all

At 22:16 1999/04/12 -0700, bill bell wrote:
>We were lucky to have such a wonderful writer cover this story.
>Carol Smith is not only a great writer but also a very compassionate
>person (also, up for a Pulitzer a couple of years ago!).  We were
>able to get her attention in a couple of ways.  An initial press
>release was sent to her desk as the Health writer.  This was sent
>over 2 months ago.  I then called and followed up with her and she
>agreed to sit down and listen to all the issues and needs the PD
>community is faced with.  Her initial story was concerning the
>creation of the Northwest Parkinson's Foundation and its purpose.
>The story grew after we introduced Carol to Doctors, support groups,
>and PWP.  She approached the paper to ask for a larger spread and
>they agreed.  Once a week I drop her an email with any interesting
>tidbit that I run across concerning PD.
>
>I would say the most important aspect of this is creating a
>relationship with the writer.  Then they too become an advocate
>for your cause.  They must understand that you represent a need in
>the community, not a personal goal or gain. The news is subjective.
>
>Its worked here, luckily, in Washington State. With this group of
>articles as well as 2 earlier articles in different papers.  We hope
>to expand the press circle to Alaska, Idaho,  Montana, and Oregon.
>
>We'll keep pushing.
>Bill

superb
simply superb

janet

janet paterson - 52 now /41 dx /37 onset - [log in to unmask]
613/256/8340 - po box 171/almonte/ontario/k0a 1a0/canada

Scan some of My Past Posts at:
     http://www.newcountry.nu/pd/members/janet/index.htm
Mine the PD List Archives at:
     http://james.parkinsons.org.uk/
Cull Nine Million Pub-Med Medical Studies at:
     http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/PubMed/
Comb the 'People With Parkinson's' Web-Ring at:
     http://www.webring.org/cgi-bin/webring?ring=parkie;list