hi all

At 03:59 1999/04/14 EDT, helen wrote:
>Does  anybody on the list have experience with stopping use of Permax?
>My husband has been taking Permax for 4 years at a dosage of 1.5mg per
>day. Everytime he stops taking Permax, he cannot sleep for days. We are
>interested to know how long the sleep disorder lasts given his chronic
>use of the drug.

as i understand it
it can take one week for a healthy human's brain/body to fully adjust
to a one hour time zone change
no drugs involved
just our own bio-chemistry
we are a miracle of micro bio electro chemical inter-actions

after whew 15 years of playing this game
i am convinced more and more as time goes on
that tweaking and fine-tuning our brain chemisty
needs to be done with a feather's touch and at a snail's pace

'low and slow' is what i was told at the starting gate
in order to avoid 'titration trauma'

i have noted that to be considered as a guinea pig for any pd med trial
we need to be 'drug-free' of whatever the study specifies
for
count'em
three
that's three
months
yep
i said
months

as a gut reaction?
if i can 'feel' the difference a med change makes to my body/brain
i figure the change has been too much and too fast

it seems to me
that heavy handed med titration whether up or down
is the equivalent of smacking the side of a sluggish television set
but the results can be far more devastating
than missing an episode of "ER"

janet

janet paterson - 52 now /41 dx /37 onset - [log in to unmask]
613/256/8340 - po box 171/almonte/ontario/k0a 1a0/canada

Scan some of My Past Posts at:
     http://www.newcountry.nu/pd/members/janet/index.htm
Mine the PD List Archives at:
     http://james.parkinsons.org.uk/
Cull Nine Million Pub-Med Medical Studies at:
     http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/PubMed/
Comb the 'People With Parkinson's' Web-Ring at:
     http://www.webring.org/cgi-bin/webring?ring=parkie;list