Has anyone ever tried this?  Thanks, Linda

J Neural Transm 1999;106(1):1-21

Paraquat induced activation of transcription factor AP-1 and apoptosis
in
PC12 cells.

Li X, Sun AY

Department of Pharmacology, University of Missouri, Columbia 65212, USA.

[Medline record in process]

Drugs and certain environmental toxins may be responsible for the
pathogenesis of Parkinson's disease. We have used paraquat
as a model toxin for this study since paraquat has been shown to make
its way to the nerve terminals and cause cell death of
dopamine neurons by oxidative injury. We have shown by the
electrophoretic mobility shift assay that paraquat, together with
low concentrations of chelated iron (Fe++/DETAPAC), induced the
activation of transcription factor AP-1 binding activity to
DNA. Under similar conditions we also found by both a DNA laddering
assay procedure and by terminal deoxynucleotidyl
transferase assay (TUNEL assay) that paraquat also induces apoptotic
cell death. Interestingly, both apoptotic cell death and
AP-1/DNA binding activity induced by paraquat were blocked by
cyclohexamide and genistein, indicating that both the
AP-1/DNA binding activation and apoptosis induced by paraquat are
closely related. Moreover, cells were also protected from
paraquat toxicity in the presence of antioxidant defense enzymes SOD and
catalase. The results support the hypothesis that
oxidative stress may be contributing to the apoptotic cell death of
dopaminergic neurons, leading to the manifestation of
Parkinson's disease. Since paraquat was an important herbicide in the
mid 20th Century, our results have the important
implication that exposure to environmental toxins such as paraquat may
induce Parkinson's disease.

PMID: 10195331, UI: 99209706