Ann and Bob,

I agree with Bob. A bad outcome is not necessarily malpractice but from
the information you give us it certainly appears that  somebody is trying
to hide something.

In Wisconsin and I believe most other states a patient has the RIGHT to a
copy of his medical record at a reasonable cost for copying  or to examine
the record in the presence of a third party (to be sure that the patient
doesn't alter the record).

It would seem that you do have a right to an itemized statement. The
contract for service is between you and the doctor not the insurance
company.  Therefore it is the doctor's choice as to whether he is willing
to file the insurance.  Most doctors do both as a service to their patient
and to minimize the risk that the patient is going to get the check from
the insurance company and then leave town.

There is something  that doesn't sound right here- but obviously we are
hearing only one side of the story. If you don't get some good
explanations soon your only choice may be to contact a good malpractice
attorney to find the missing pieces.

Good luck to you and your husband and if I can be of any help let me know.

Charlie

--

Charles T. Meyer,  M.D.
Middleton (Madison), Wisconsin