Here are a coupld of items from next month's Current Science Reviews,
which I thought interesting enough to deserve posting early:

Advt; J Neur N'surg Psych 1999;66:2nd cover:
For those who don't like the stimulation of selegiline (Eldepryl)
in its current form, a new formulation is available in which a
single 1.25mg dose daily is equivalent to the usual 5mg twice a
day, and whose amphetamine metabolite is reduced 90%. It's sold
in the UK by Athena Neurosciences under the name Zelapar; I don't
know yet about U.S. aproval.

Young D et al; Nat Med 1999;5:448-453:
An enriched social and physical environment, represented by
higher educational attainment, is associated with reduced risk of
dementia related to Parkinson's or Alzheimer's disease. In a
controlled trial with rats, authors housed one group in a plain
cage with only food and water, and provided the other group with
a running wheel, tunnels, rubber balls, a maze, a bar-pressing
feeder, and nesting material. The enrichment reduced spontaneous
apoptosis (in the hippocampus) by 45%, prevented siezures due to
administered cerebral insult, and was neuroprotective, as
indicated by stimulated expression of neural growth factors, as
well as improving cognitive performance of the privileged rats.

Cheers,
Joe
--
J. R. Bruman   (818) 789-3694