Subject: FWD: Parkinson's Disease Awareness Month
Date: Fri, 09 Apr 1999 15:20:01 -0700 (PDT)
From: [log in to unmask]
To: [log in to unmask]

April 9, 1999

Dear Ms. Mancuso,

Thank you for contacting my office about declaring April as
Parkinson's Disease Awareness Month.  I forwarded your request on to
Governor Gray Davis and he agreed with you.  Please accept the
enclosed Governor's Proclamation declaring April as Parkinson's
Disease Awareness Month.

I also want to thank you for your efforts in advocating for increased
public awareness of this disease.  Please keep up the good work.

Sincerely,

BYRON D. SHER
Senator, 11th District
________________________

EXECUTIVE DEPARTMENT

STATE OF CALIFORNIA

P R 0 C L A M A T 10 N

By the
Governor of the State of California

WHEREAS, Parkinson's disease is a progressive disorder of the central
nervous system affecting more than one million people in the United
States; and

WHEREAS, Parkinson's disease results in major symptoms, originally
described in 1817 by an English physician, Dr. James Parkinson, who
called it "Shaking Palsy," characterized by spontaneous movements,
difficulty walking, and tremors; and

WHEREAS, the pathological and biochemical changes in the brain of
Parkinson's patients were identified in 1960, opening the way to the
first effective
medication for the disease; and

WHEREAS, both men and women are affected by Parkinson's disease,
though the frequency of Parkinson's disease is considerably higher in
people who are more than 50 years old, even though there is an
increase of patients in their 30's and 40's;
and

WHEREAS, in consideration of the increased life expectancy in this
country and worldwide, an increasing number of people will live with
Parkinson's disease;

NOW, THEREFORE, 1, GRAY DAVIS, Governor of the State of California, do
hereby proclaim April 1999 as "Parkinson's Disease Awareness Month."

IN WITNESS WHEREOF I have hereunto set my hand and caused the Great
Seal of the State of California to be affixed this 29th day of March
1999.

Gray Davis
Governor of California

ATTEST:

Bill Jones
Secretary of State

Again, thanks for sharing and inspiring,

Ann