Ivan and Hillary,
At the risk of heaping more on you and the rest of the list, perhaps it would
be worth some phone calls to some of the media people who were notified of
these events and ask them why they were not included.  Ask them what the
problem was.  Was it the subject itself, or the presentation to thier
organization?  Are there more proper ways to approach these requests?  I know
nothing about how to go about dealing with the media but I do know that in
dealing with art galleries and organizations that they have very specific
methods you must follow to submit for thier approval and if these criteria
are not met, you are not even considered no matter how good you are.  Just a
thought.
Jennifer