-----Original Message-----
From: [log in to unmask] [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Monday, April 12, 1999 6:36 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: RE: Seattle Articles - How did this happen? - We need your
secret!

Dear Bill,
        I think you should send this to the list.  There's a lot of good tips
here that all of us can benefit from.  Thanks for the info and your
outstanding work for PD.

Barb

<<Dear Barb,
We were lucky to have such a wonderful writer cover this story.  Carol Smith
is not only a great writer but also a very compassionate person (also, up
for a Pulitzer a couple of years ago!).  We were able to get her attention
in a couple of ways.  An initial press release was sent to her desk as the
Health writer.  This was sent over 2 months ago.  I then called and followed
up with her and she agreed to sit down and listen to all the issues and
needs the PD community is faced with.  Her initial story was concerning the
creation of the Northwest Parkinson's Foundation and its purpose.  The story
grew after we introduced Carol to Doctors, support groups, and PWP.  She
approached the paper to ask for a larger spread and they agreed.  Once a
week I drop her an email with any interesting tidbit that I run across
concerning PD.

I would say the most important aspect of this is creating a relationship
with the writer.  Then they too become an advocate for your cause.  They
must understand that you represent a need in the community, not a personal
goal or gain. The news is subjective.

Its worked here, luckily, in Washington State. With this group of articles
as well as 2 earlier articles in different papers.  We hope to expand the
press circle to Alaska, Idaho,  Montana, and Oregon.

We'll keep pushing.
Bill