I also have just helped my sister to be able to die at home as we all
wished.  She had put up a valiant fight with cancer for about 1-1/2 years.
She had seemed to have it in remission twice, only to find it back in a
very short time.  She did seem todo quite well until about 2 months before
her death.  Then, it seemed to progress very quickly.

She had two very dear friends who stayed with her day and night, only
taking time off during the day in shifts to go home and shower, etc. and
spend some time with their husbands.  As she lives 250 miles from us, I was
unable to be there all of the time, but did spend 2 weeks of the last month
with her and her husband.  I sat with her some at night, but had to be sure
that I got my rest also.  My brother-in-law moved a recliner in by her bed
for me.  We reminisced about many things (such as we were the middle 2 of 4
girls, and we were going to be born first or last next time--no more being
in the middle).  We also were able to get some things done that she needed
help with the first of the weeks that I spent with her.  The last week, she
was not conscious much of the time, but I felt she knew I was there, as she
would sometimes squeeze my hand, but could not talk any more.

Her friends led a devotional each day around her bed for whoever was there
at the time.  They read scriptures and led devotionals.  Then we would say
a prayer, followed by the Lord's Prayer and finish with a hymn, which I
led.  I believe she knew when we had the devotional and appreciated them so
much.  It also helped the rest of us.

During the last week, all I could do was pray that she would sleep away and
not have to suffer any more.  This was a very difficult time for me, as she
was only 1-1/2 year older than me.  However, I feel that our faith has
helped me to get through this difficult time.

I would have liked to be there with her the last month, but I have a
husband and a 16-year old granddaughter who lives with us, and they needed
me also.  I will never regret the time I was able to spend with her.

Mary Watkins
58/50