and looking pretty good, I might add...

April 7, 1999
Johnny Cash back on stage for TV show

Country legend Johnny Cash has made a concert
comeback in New York, his first appearance since he
was diagnosed with a rare nerve disease.

Cash, 67, sang hits Folsom Prison Blues and I Walk The
Line for a TV tribute with wife June Carter Cash and other
musicians including Sheryl Crow, Willie Nelson, Chris
Isaak and Lyle Lovett.

The singer told the audience, "I haven't been on stage in
19 months. It feels good, feels good, feels good."

Cash was diagnosed with Shy-Drager syndrome - which
is similar to Parkinson's Disease - in 1997, and been
hospitalised several times since.

His simple, raw sound has won nine Grammys and he is
the only musician to be inducted into the Songwriters
Hall of Fame, the Country Music Hall of Fame and the
Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

Cash also performed at the White House for President
Richard Nixon in 1970.

BBC Entertainment
--
Judith Richards, London, Ontario, Canada
                         ^^^