Hello All,

Greetings from the Gold Coast – Australia.

I have the opportunity to take a sea cruise to our Great Barrier Reef.
However, I suffer from motion sickness which is aggravated by my Parkinsons.

The purpose of this mail is therefore to canvass fellow PWP for ideas to
make my voyage more comfortable.

I have already searched the Parkinson Archive and found the following. Is
anyone able to add to what I have found?
1. Tom Riess’ idea for ‘blue filters of the proper wave length’ in sun
glasses looks interesting .  But Tom, what is the proper wave length that
you refer to and how much tint is required? I think the latter is measured
in nanometres (spelling?).
2. Charles Meter is recorded as asking about the use of the scopolamine
patch. Charles, did you try it and what did you find?
3. Various mixtures of dimenhydrinate e.g. Benadryl or Dramamine. My reading
suggests caution with these because of their particular side effects for
PWP.
4. Pressure point wrist bands. Yes they seem to help but not always. Maybe I
’m not consistently accurate with their placement.
5. Ginger in the diet. A failure for me. Moreover no-one seems to know how
much or how often.
6. I have heard of an exercise program developed, I think, by NASA to
prepare astronauts to withstand the effects of motion sickness but my
searches for details have been fruitless. Anyone know about it?
7. I am aware of the need to position oneself on the boat to reduce movement
and to focus on the horizon.

Thank you in anticipation of responses.

Paul Schlinker