April 7, 1999

Barbara Patterson
Parkinson’s List

[Parkinson’s Disease World Awareness Day Prayer:

O God You are the source of all goodness, life, light, and health and knowledge.

We thank You for all that you have given us so lavishly – food, shelter,
life, love.  We thank You for those who have loved and cared for us –
our fathers and mothers, our sisters and brothers, our relatives and
friends – others lack all of these things.

We come before You as Your children who are suffering from Parkinson’s
Disease.  The world is not always as aware of us as we would want.  We
thank You for those striving to make us more visible.  We, too, are
human persons with feelings and emotions.  We are thankful for those who
have passed laws that seek to make Parkinson’s Disease a national and
indeed and international issue.  We want the world to know that we
exist.  We are here.  We are not shadows.  We are not misfits.  We are
human beings with a certain affliction.  We pray that there will be
greater awareness of our plight.  We pray that our governments will make
adequate funds available for research to discover a cure for Parkinson’s
Disease.  We are on the verge of a breakthrough.  We pray for those who
compassionately look after us and those searching for a cure.  Bless
their efforts and crown them with wonderful success.  Bless us all.
Pour forth your Holy Spirit on us all abundantly now and always.

Amen.

Desmond M. Tutu
Archbishop Emeritus of Cape Town, South Africa
Nobel Peace Laureate]

God bless you all.

Yours sincerely,

Desmond M. Tutu
Archbishop Emeritus
Robert W. Woodruff Visiting Professor of Theology

DMT/jls