In a message dated 4/9/99 10:17:31 AM Central Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

<<  I continue to be amazed at the necessity of a patient or family member to
be
 proactively involved in care!  Good luck.  Kathy

Kathy,

It has been my experience that if you want good care of a Parkie in the
hospital, it is required that someone perceived as normal (i.e. other than
the patient) be involved.

It is very common for the staff and the PWP to get into it on various
matters.  For instance:
1. The timing of medicines (You can wait a few more minutes, I'm certain that
taking you r pills exactly at three is not that important.)
2.  The  ability to sleep (You could go to sleep if you really wanted to,
after all, its not like you are having pain).
3. The ability to do anything (I saw you walking just a couple of minutes
ago, why don't you just do it now? )
4. And on and on…
The APDA puts out an excellent little pamphlet titled "hospitalization of a
Parkinson patient" One can get these from them at their Staten Island address
(below).  Armed with that and an accurate contraindicated drug list, you are
set to get your Parkie a good hospital stay.

American Parkinson's Disease Association
(APDA)
1250 Hylan Blvd, suite 413
Staten Island, NY
10305