I think it's about time that we got a clear picture of the various dopamine
agonists, since they feature in most people's drug diet these days. For
instance; I take Permax (Pergolide) in addition to levadopa. Over the last
6 years I have worked myself up from zero to 5 mg of Permax in order to
combat the steady deterioration which is the hallmark of PD. Now this simple
fact is of very little use if I want to see into the future, unless I can
relate my current intake of Permax to some absolute standard.  Not only
that, how do I relate my situation to that of someone taking say Ropinirole
(Requip)?  With your help, I think we can answer these questions.

What we need is for as many members of this list as possible to complete the
response form at the end of this e-mail. I have not seen this attempted
before (maybe it can't be done) but let's make the attempt.

Problem areas: A key question is 'What is the maximum safe dosage  of
whatever drug you are using?' This is bound to be a moving feast in
practice: for instance; when I was taking 2 mg of Permax, my neurologist
told me that about 4 mg would be the maximum safe level.  When I reached
4mg , he told me that people were taking up to 12 mg. I am very grateful
to these pioneers for effectively opening-up my future by several years.

If we get enough of a response to make a useful analysis I will attempt
to do so, and will make the data available to anyone who asks for it. Of
course any results will be published in the list.

Questions:

1/ Which Dopamine Agonist are you taking?

2/ When did you start taking it?

3/ When were you diagnosed as having PD?

4/ What was your age when diagnosed?

5/ When do you believe (with hindsight) that you experienced first symptoms?

6/ What is your present daily intake of levodopa? (Sinemet, Madopar)

7/ What is your present daily intake of Dopamine Agonist?

8/ Has your neurologist advised you of the max. safe dose for your agonist?

--
Brian Collins  <[log in to unmask]>