Thanks, Robin, for keeping us abreast of this development.

I found several web pages of info on COPR which are linked to via
Office of Public Liaison web page
http://www.nih.gov/welcome/publicliaison/get-involved/

There is also a COPR Question & answer page at
http://www.nih.gov/welcome/publicliaison/qacopr1.htm

Among the contents of the latter are the following:

Q. What about the people who didn't get selected?

     A. The NIH Director, Harold Varmus, has written to everyone who
     applied in an effort to maintain their interest in the NIH and
     have the benefit of their views through a less formal path of
     involvement. He has invited them to become "COPR Associates," and
     to serve as links between NIH and the broader public. As COPR
     Associates, they might, for example, be asked to provide direct
     input on COPR agenda items or to serve in the future as members
     of COPR or on other NIH committees. NIH plans to maintain regular
     contact with COPR Associates and provide them with discussion
     papers and summaries of COPR meetings. The COPR itself may wish
     to engage in activities with the COPR Associates.

Q. Will the COPR get involved in how NIH sets research priorities?

     A. Yes. Priority setting for the NIH is not just a matter of
     sitting down at a given point in time and deciding how much money
     is spent on one activity or another. It is a complex, continuous
     undertaking which, as described in the booklet, "Setting Research
     Priorities at the NIH,"
     (http://www.nih.gov/news/ResPriority/priority.htm) , involves
     such matters as: peer review; strategic planning; public
     participation; the appropriations process; identifying
     opportunities for funding; assessing burden of illness;
     considering "mechanisms" of support such as grants, contracts,
     training awards, and centers; and many other considerations. We
     envision that over time, the COPR will consider many of these
     matters. In addition, formation of the COPR provides another
     opportunity to gain expert advice from a diversity of publics
     interested in our work; we look forward to hearing from the COPR
     on an array of NIH activities that affect the public.

Phil Tompkins