On 20 Apr 99 at 2:59, janet paterson wrote:
> hi all
SNIP

> the lower dose sounds better
> the higher dose would have done me in as a starting point
>
> as a newby parkie, [!]
> you need to be careful to take sinemet with meals
> so as to minimize the potential gastric upset
>
> i was put on 1/2 tab sinemet 110 3x a day for a week
> and then it was increased by a 1/2 tab to 4x a day for a week
> low and slow titration, the neuro called it
> i was lucky to have found him

Hi Janet and John,
I started even slower.......... morning 1/2 tab for 1week, then
morning 6:00 AM 1/2 tab and Noon 1/2 tab for 1 week, and 6:00AM Noon
and 6:00PM in the third week.

I did a similar titration (3 weeks) when I was told to increase my
sinemet  and I did much the same thing only in reverse last xmas to
titrate off Tasmar over 6 weeks.  I experienced very mild effects.

The drugs we take are strong chemicals and when you go from nuthin'
to a full regime overnight you are almost certain to have side
effects.  Since PD is not life threatening and the meds are on going
for the foreseeable future there is no reason to rush.

Janet, you are right.... finding a neuro who understands drug
titration and who teaches it to his patients is fortunate indeed.

My personal opinion is that the least amount of drugs that gives you
some quality of life is the right amount.   More is not necessarily
better in the case of powerful chemicals.

> i found that psychosocial article
> it's on its way to everyone
>
> janet

All the best ................ Murray