Hello list members,
 On this general subject, a couple of weeks ago there was a picture on
the front page of the USA TODAY and also our local paper. I was an
aerial photo of a city, with tall buildings, apartment houses, stores
etc. built in the bend of a river, looking much like Chattanooga Tn.
where I live. And like Chattanooga, and all cities built on rivers there
was a bridge. In this case it was a beautifull suspension bridge, with
tall towers and gracefull cables swooping down from the towers holding
up the roadway. It could have been any city, New Orleans, Paris etc.

But this picture showed the middle section of the bridge destroyed and
fallen into the river, having been bombed by an american (NATO)? fighter
plane.

I could not help ;thinking about what Neil Armstrong said when he
stepped out on to the surface of the moon, "a giant leap for mankind"
Wasn't this a step backward for mankind?

My thought is, how does this act benifit anyone, or mankind in general.
It seems to me that this ace was a step backward for mankind.

Just think how much money that cost someone, 10 million, 100 million.
Seems to me that 10 or 100 million could be better spennt on medical
research like we have been reading about on the list lately.

I do not mean this to be a political viewpoint or statement.

I just cant get that picture of that bridge bombed into the river out of
my mind, and wondering if there was not someway to get out of doing
that.

Lanier Maddux       Chattanooga, Tn.