First: if someone who works with advocacy groups in
Washington DC doesn't know who Tutu is, I would have a
problem
following very many of her ideas. This is much like not
knowing what countries border the US, something that a
large number of high school students can't answer.

But that speaks of literacy and our problem is
recognition. I very much doubt that "press releases"
work as an informative vehicle for PD or any of the 10
zillion medical problems. From cancer to baldness,
everyone points to underfunding as the source for the
lack of a cure.

As much as I believe in it, the screaming and yelling
protest won't be part of our funding problem. From Aids
to Agent Orange, it drew attention but PD folks just
aren't going to scream in protest. It's hard enough
just to get out of bed, much less get 10,000 of us to
DC to form a chain around the White House. Even if we
did, we would probably pick the same day that troops
are sent into Kosovo, so we still wouldn't get noticed.

However, there is hope in Mudville. If the media won't
do it, then we need to do it ourselves. The Parkinson
Alliance group has an excellent plan of attack. IF (big
"IF") most of the PWP's would become actively involved
in that one program, we MIGHT have a chance in seeing a
cure.

Something I learned a long time ago - take what you
have and work with it. The "Pennies for Parkinson's" is
a wonderful idea put into reality. Seed money for
advanced research is the best hope we have right now.
Every month or so, there is an article posted here
about some new discovery that points to a PD cure.
Those research scientist need money to pay bills just
like the rest of us and if they can't get it, the
research doesn't get done.

The whole seed money plan is a working project.
Everyone who wants a cure for our common cause needs to
back it with everything they have by talking with
restaurants, retail stores, etc., getting the
collection jars out, then returning, collecting,
resupplying pamplets, getting the jars in front of the
others....

There are a million causes who want attention (mine is
saving the horses from the slaughterhouse). Noise does
make the news, but the reality is that PWPs just aren't
going to make the noise. We have the activist who are
already at work - we just need to join them.

Jerry Finch

--
Help us save the horses! Habitat for Horses, Inc.
A lifetime home for abused, endangered horses.