Dear List Family...

This is NOT an "urban legend," or a joke!

I'm listening to KABC radio's weekly computer
program on the radio as I type.  The two hosts are
the most computer savvy individuals I've ever
heard (and I listen to a coupla these type programs
every week in the hopes some of that knowledge
will rub off) <so far, it hasn't> (grin)

The program's hosts (Mark and March) have brought
a new virus to our attention, and this same new
virus was mentioned in both our Los Angeles daily
newspapers both yesterday and today.  Sooooo...
following is the information 'bout his new virus I was
able to get into type as I concentrated upon listening
AND typing simultaneously (THAT'S NOT EASY FOR
 MOI, FOLKS)  <blush>

This new and VERY dangerous virus is called
the "Chernobyl Virus," because it's scheduled
to begin TOMORROW, APRIL 26..... the
anniversary of the Chernobyl meltdown in Russia.
The virus will continue to flare up every month
after tomorrow on the 26th of each month - however,
this INITIAL ATTACK is expected to cause the
most damage because so few people will have
updated their respective virus protection
programs (I.e., Norton/Symantic, <URL
www.symantic.com ,   McAfee, etc..) <--- I might
 be spelling these incorrectly, but it's close!> (rueful smile)

The Chernobyl virus is a "CIH" -type virus - a
"space filler virus".... which sneaks in it's many
small components and hides by filling unused
space in your computer's system, where it
remains inactive and unseen until APRIL 26,
TOMORROW,  when it's set to wipe your entire
system into oblivion!

IF you can, update your virus program, but be
careful in running THAT because there's a
special way to do it so it won't trigger the virus
itself (Sorry.... the radio-host-experts told how
to open the virus protection program after you
update but I was unable to type as fast as they
were speaking <GRRRRR>

I'm going to presume that I can do with this new
virus  what I've done with the MIchaellangelo  virus
when IT'S set to strike in March, and THAT'S to
leave your CPU running continuously during the
time when this date-activated virus is due to strike.
That is, I won't turn off my PC on the night of the
26 (tonite) and will let it continue to run throughout
the day and night of the 26.

GOOD LUCK!!!

Barb Mallut