Mary Y....

M'dear... It seems that even when you're "off"
you're "right on!"

"Serendipity" in medical research HAS happened
every once in a while, but it's a rare event when it does.

In those instances when for whatever reason there's
a major medical breakthrough via a serendipitous
route,  it seems to take MUCH longer for the
world-wide medical community to accept it as a
bona fide treatment or cure.   That means a much
longer time for such a discovery to make it into the
commercial marketplace and into the hands of the
patients in need of such a drug/treatment.

Historically, it appears that "legitimate testing,"
I.e.,  FDA standards of medical testing, dictates
the specific protocols MUST be followed in
pre-release testing AND specific criteria MUST
be met prior to the FDA giving a "thumbs up" drug
and/or treatment almost always is what eases a
drug or treatment acceptance into the  world of
modern medicine.

And you can count on it that the FDA doesn't thing
too highly of or endorse "serendipity" when it
medical research, discovery, and cures.

Barb Mallut