Terry, you've hit the nail on the head, and I'm sure many will chime in
with commentary.

On the credit card thing, I received an offer to sign up for a NPF Visa
card this week, and with all due respect I circular filed it. According to
the extremely fine print, while the interest rate starts at 3.3% until
October 1999, that is not the whole story. If, before October, you're late
with a payment once, the rate goes up to 9.9%; if late twice, to 22.9%.
Hardly a good bet if you want to consolidate bills and carry a hefty
balance. Of course, none of us are ever late with our credit card payments
:-)

I've had my Nature Conservancy MasterCard for years at 18.8%, and my basic
approach is to try not to use the darn thing too much. In a weird way, a
low interest rate is license to spend because it's "cheap" money. But you
still have to pay it back!

Rick, self-diagnosed cheapskate

>From:    Terry Kempf <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Organizations
>
>I'm new to this list.  Only a few months.  So maybe this has been discussed
>before.
>
>The credit card money goes to Parkinson's Alliance.
>The PD handbook is from the American P D Association.
>The drug book was from National Parkinson's Foundation.
>
>How many groups are there?  These are all USA groups, at least
>the bottom two.  When we raise money who should it go to?
>Is there a lot of duplication and waste of money with so many
>groups.
>
>Has this been discussed before?
>
>Terry   55/52.5/?

Rick Hermann
SPIE Press Manager
SPIE-The International Society for Optical Engineering
P.O. Box 10, Bellingham, WA 98227-0010
Phone: 360/676-3290 * Fax: 360/647-1445 * Email: [log in to unmask]