On 23 Apr 99 at 18:30, Jay Orr wrote:

> Rick, this is a time to find out who your good friends are.  Part of the
> problem is that the distant people very well may not know what to say.  What
> do you say to a person who has a deadly disease - when we would just
> appreciate something like thinking about you, etc. would do quite nicely.
> I've been in that position myself and am now on the receiving end.  Four
> years later, my friends are still my friends and my acquaintances are still
> my acquaintances.  It will normalize for you before too long.  Don't know
> that I have helped but some parts do get better.

I agree Jay.  In the past 16 years since my first symptoms I have
gone through periods of alienation for several reasons besides PD.
(When my father passed away I felt the loss more keenly than any of
my siblings - family of 11)  (When I divorced after 23 years of
marriage - ex wifes family of 9)  (When I quit my job after 25 years
and immediately started working for the opposition)  (When I
remarried)  (When I was misdiagnosed with MS)  (When I was dx w/PD)
Through all the trials and tribulations my family and my best friends
are still true blue My Family and My Best Friends.  In addition I
have a lot of new friends plus I'm surrounded with ever expanding
support from my trade union, community assoc., co-workers, my
employer, my PD support group, volunteer groups, this wonderful
List....  You get the picture??  It does get overwhelmingly better if
you just let it.  Just be yourself, don't dwell on the negatives,
keep busy and prepare to be pleasantly surprised how people do come
around.

All the best .................. Murray