On 25 Apr 99 at 14:57, Diane Leeds wrote:

> This is my second time posting this message.  I thought maybe if I worded
> it different, it might get more response. Thank you to Will Johnston who
> gave me some information, anybody else have anything they could share.
>
> I am going tomorrow to have a PET Scan done, and will be going without
> being medicated for the Parkinsons in almost 8 years.  I ordinarily take
> sinemet CR, eldepryl, amantadine, and tasmar.  I take my last dose at 7PM
> tonight and the test should be completed by 3 or 4 tomorrow afternoon.
> That seems like a long scary time for me without meds.  I need to know what
> to expect (I know the unexpected!!).  I am affected on both sides, but my
> left is much worse.
>
> Thank you in advance for any help you can give me.
>
> Diane Leeds

Diane, I've had 4 PET scans over the last 4 years.  The scans were
voluntary (for research purposes) and the times varied.  The longest
was a 2 part all on one day and they were monitoring my blood so I
had a "tap" in each wrist.  I took my favorite music and the PET team
treated me fine so for myself it was not a big deal.  You do get a
trifle stiff and I semi dozed through most of it.  There is a "mask"
involved to keep your head stationary and they mark your face with a
felt marker so that when they line you up for the second part they
can get you as close as possible in the same place.........

The stoppage of medication for me means increased rigidity  and
lethargy so its a bit uncomfortable but not scary in the least....

Incidently,  for all those people whose employers have dumped on
'em.... there are some good bosses too... I work full time but I have
an agreement with my employer that I will give 1 day a year to the
Movement Disorder Clinic for whatever research project they require a
guinea pig.  I also give 1 day a year to the Parkinson's Disease
Association here and that day is spent selling tulips as a fund
raiser.  I work by the hour and don't expect to be paid on those days
off but so far my employer has generously paid me 8 hours pay on each
of those days.

Diane, have you looked at the PET website I posted for Bruce a few
days back???

http://www.physics.ubc.ca/~pet/

> There are excellent links here to PET sites around the world.

> Click on What is PET? for a technical description of X Ray, CT, MRI,
> SPECT, and PET.

I hope your scan goes well.................. Murray