Phil Lammers and others,

I respect and agree with those who have written why a "pro-life" position is
not inconsistent with support of fetal cell and stem cell research but I
can't let this one go bye without some comments.

Phil (Lammers),  you certainly have the right not to take advantage of the
potential gains made by the fetal cell transplant research and reading your
letter closely I understand your  position as  that you are speaking for
yourself and trying to convince others rather than impose your views on
others

As someone who has taken risk as a subject in a fetal transplant  research
project and someone in a wheelchair as a result of 10 years of PD  I must
take strong issue with those who would impose their religious dogma on the
rest of us in ways that impede research.

I  resent the fact that such research was banned during the Reagan and Bush
administrations because of people who think they have a monopoly on
morality   I have written much here about the need for stem cell research.
I don't think that fetal cell transplants will be the ultimate "cure" only an
important step along the way which is more likely come from stem cells.  But
we could be much further along.

I am grateful that the present administration and NIH disagree with you..
The issue of when human life begins is a religious-philisophical question
without a simple answer. One's faith may provide direction or doctrine but it
is their personal answer not the societies'.    Abortion is a personal
decision.  It is a tragedy when someone needs to make the choice of whether
to bring a potential human life into the world.  But the choice is theirs,
not mine, not yours.  They have to answer to their own conscience and to God
not to The Moral Majority  or other GRAND INQUISITORS.

It is true that science has  made progress in spite of the fact that
religious dogma has often stood in its way.  But,  it  took 500 years to
pardon Galileo and most of us with PD don't have that kind of time to wait..

This is obviously a hot issue especially with the AAN study results now
published.  I think we need to be careful if to discuss and argue about ideas
not. attack people.

Charlie

--

Charles T. Meyer,  M.D.