Bruce,

I've had a couple of PET scans. The idea is simple but hard to believe.
You get an injection. The injection contains a substance [ligand] which has
an affinity for what part of the anatomy is to be studied. Flouradopa is
the favorite for most.  I used a cocaine analog. The ligand has atoms in it
to which positive charges [positrons] have been added. If you remember any
of your physics or chemistry, you know the things in orbit around the
nucleus are negatively charged.... Remember the antimatter bombs in
Startrek? When a positron and an electron(-) meet, there is an explosion.
Gamma ray particles are sent out.., sent out with equal and opposite
direction and force. The PET scan uses usually sodium receivers to detect
the gamma rays. There are gamma rays everywhere, but having two at the same
time with exactly equal force and exactly opposite direction does not
happen often by chance. These "rarities" are recorded by a computer
attached to the scanner. These are "hits," and the direction is recorded.
These non-random gamma ray particles are used to map the area of interest.
This shows the activity [locations] of the ligand in the organ of interest,
head in my case and probably your head too. This "map" produces what is
essentially a picture of metabolism in the brain.  It does not hurt, you do
not light up, and you cannot rent yourself out as a streetlight or energy
source to your local power company.  The ligand has a very short half-life
so the "stuff" must be created and used very quickly.  Have fun.  There are
not many PET scanners in the world.

Will Johnnston
A.P.D.A. DelMarVA Chapter Pres.
4049 Oakland School Road