In a message dated 4/21/99 9:48:35 AM Central Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

<<
 My mother took 0.05mg of Permax this morning for the first time.  (Her
 neurologist suggested that she take that amount once a day for two weeks
 before increasing the dosage.)  After a little over an hour she became very
 pale and panicky.  I think she almost fainted.  >>

Teresa,

One possibility:
There is a distinct possibility that what your Mom had was cardiovascular
insufficiency precipitated by the Permax.

Permax, like several other anti- PD meds, is an ergot.  Ergot compounds
constrict arteries.  That makes folks with bad cardiac arteries poor
candidates for the stuff.  I don't know that is the mechanism of her side
effect, but it is worth considering.  Before trying it again, I would
definitely see my internist as well as my neuro on this one.  He/she might
try Mirapex or Requip instead.

Regards,
WHH 55/38/37