Ivan M Suzman wrote:
> Does anyone know if Tolcapone is, in specific circumstances, to be
> avoided when a Hepatitis diagnosis has occurred in the past.?
>  J.R.Bruman,. can you help here?

Thanks, but I don't know that much about it. The very distant connection
is the similarity between a few (3 I believe) recorded cases of acute
fatal hepatitis associated with Tolcapone and the equally rare acute
hepatitis associated with infection, principally Hepatitis B (HBV). Some
authorities have remarked that persons who have previously recovered
from HBV, although asymptomatic, may be more susceptible to re-infection
that can reach the acute stage. Because of that close similarity I have
suggested that it might be wise to screen prospective users of Tolcapone
for prior HBV infection, but nothing came of it.
Cheers,
Joe

--
J. R. Bruman   (818) 789-3694