Thea, you said something about dropping the wheelchair on your toes.....If
you are taking it out of the trunk of a car, there is a lift device that
mounts inside the trunk, which swings around and lets you lower the chair
gently to the ground with a cord and hook system, it works with a remote
control switch on a wire.  I don't know the details but I believe that
General Motors installed and supplied the device at no charge, it is usually
about a thousand dollars retail.  This was done when the car was almost new,
but I don't know if that made a difference.  I also think other car companies
do the same thing and may be getting governmment funds, but I am not sure.
Hope it is something that can help you.
Ken B