Call me if you need to.  Phone # is in tel. directory.

Best option I can think of is ask your doctor to order respite services
for your husband from a local nursing agency like VNA and Hospice or
whatever they have in your area.  Your doctor's
letter or even your doctor's nurse's phone call can generate the flow of
help to you at home, to give your husband a break.

His doctor could do the same thing, to prevent him from becoming
exhausted.

Also, if you have any close friends who can spend time on occasion, work
on building a list of them.  Keep the list in a special place, and plan
to surprise your husband with your willingness to make sure that you
don't overburden him.

He sounds very caring from your description and you sound like a very
blessed couple, despite his myasthenia and your mulriple system atrophy.
God Bless and big hugs  -IVAN

On Tue, 27 Apr 1999 18:47:22 -0400 B & N Nothnagel <[log in to unmask]>
writes:
>i need suggestions on how i can give my caregiver husband a break once
>week.   i can't be alone for any length of time.
>
>we called several agencies and no one could help.  they wanted a
>routine
>of several days a week and we don't need that.
>
>we live in a retirement community in new jersey.  we are 58 years
>old.
>i have the multiple system atrophy form of the disease diagnosed in
>1995
>and now i am in a wheelchair.  we moved here in august because my
>home
>had stairs.  this one  doesn't.
>
>my husband retired early to care for me.  he was a teacher.  he also
>is
>not well and should not have stress because he is in remission for
>myasthenia gravis which was diagnosed in december of 95.  (a heck of
>year for us)  no one else in our families ever had or has a
>neurological
>problem.
>
>he needs a break to go golfing or fishing once in awhile.  any
>suggestions on who to try  to get to stay with me?  what agencies to
>try?

 Ivan Suzman        49/39/36       [log in to unmask]   :-)
 Portland, Maine    land of lighthouses        50's   deg. F   :-)