HI Catherine,

Of the organizations I am aware of, I think most if not all perform a service.
There was one that had some misappropriation of funds by a single person (who
went to jail I think) but that kind of situation can occur even in good
organizations.  My complaint is the duplication of effort,  confusion over which
to contribute to (leading to-  in  one case that I was familiar with - NO money
being contributed to any PD charity), and petty bickering which could well have
endangered the political efforts which led to the Udall Act.

Catherine-  you ask for ideas.  I would like to hear some too.  I have made some
efforts,  Perry Cohen has done a lot more.  I think we had a chance last year to
make some headway but the feelings were so strong that some of the people that I
respect most on the list and who have done the most for the Udall bill and for
our cause in general saw fit to avoid the issue I suspect because it is so
divisive.  I don't know the answer but I would like to hear some.

--

Charles T. Meyer,  M.D.
Middleton (Madison), Wisconsin