This post is very informative, however, as I have noticed with most
government agencies and such, there is no mention of the self-employed.  It
seems that unless you work for someone else, you are on your own when it
comes to any such benefits.  Just wondering if anyone else has experienced
this.  I would consider it a type of discrimination.  I work for myself and
make a decent living.  I pay taxes and contribute a disired product.  But,
according to the state of North Carolina, I do not qualify for any disability
unless I have worked for someone else for five out of the last ten years.  I
have been self employed for over 20 years.
Jennifer