Rites of Passage

    Some of the most poignant moments I spend as a veterinarian are
those spent
    with my clients assisting the transition of my animal patients
from
this world to
    the next. When living becomes a burden, whether from pain or loss
of
normal
    functions, I can help a family by ensuring that their beloved pet
has an easy
    passing. Making this final decision is painful, and I have often
felt powerless to comfort the grieving owners.

    That was before I met Shane.

    I had been called to examine a ten-year-old blue heeler named
Belker
who
    had developed a serious health problem. The dog’s owners - Ron,
his
wife,
    Lisa, and their little boy, Shane - were all very attached to
Belker
and they
    were hoping for a miracle. I examined Belker and found he was
dying
of  cancer.

    I told the family there were no miracles left for Belker, and
offered to perform
    the euthanasia procedure for the old dog in their home. As we made
    arrangements, Ron and Lisa told me they thought it would be good
for
the
    four-year-old Shane to observe the procedure. They felt Shane
could
learn  something from the experience.

    The next day, I felt the familiar catch in my throat as Belker’s
family
    surrounded him. Shane seemed so calm, petting the old dog for the
last time, that I wondered if he understood what was going on.

    Within a few minutes, Belker slipped peacefully away. The little
boy
seemed to
    accept Belker’s transition without any difficulty or confusion. We
sat together
    for a while after Belker’s death, wondering aloud about the sad
fact
that animal lives are shorter than human lives.

    Shane, who had been listening quietly, piped up, "I know why."

    Startled, we all turned to him. What came out of his mouth next
stunned me - I’d never heard a more comforting explanation.

    He said, "Everybody is born so that they can learn how to live a
good life -
    like loving everybody and being nice, right?" The four-year-old
continued,
    "Well, animals already know how to do that, so they don’t have to
stay as long."

                      By Robin Downing, D.V.M.