Although I have not written to the group recently, I have tried as much as
possible to keep up with your posts.

I am now prompted to write and comment on the posts about the "Quality of life"
joke. I am very much aware of the fact that it can be very easy to
intentionally upset the group's members and one of the areas which often causes
adverse reactions is the jokes posted.

I think that Jim in a reply into Maryhelen's complaint about the joke being a
slur on Mexicans, did not understand the way the joke could be taken as
offensive to Maryhelen and other Mexicans.

Jim, I understand what you say when you explain that the joke is intended as a
criticism of the American and modern way of life and that we would all perhaps
do better to follow a simpler lifestyle. However, the point that you are
missing is that in doing so, BY INFERENCE, Mexicans are depicted as a less
industrious, backward and simple people. I also understand that you did not
send it in, but you are the one defending it as non-racist.

Maryhelen, who is one of the finest, most motivated, industrious and caring
persons that you could wish to know, would therefore understandably take
offence at any such inference. I do not know any Mexicans other than Maryhelen,
but if she is only half representative of her people, they are a pretty
wonderful people in my book.

The point is, WHY does the fisherman have to be Mexican? Would the story not
read better and cause no offence if "Mexican fisherman" was changed to "A poor
fisherman"?  I am assured there are plenty of poor fishermen of all
nationalities around the world!

Saying that you intend to send the joke out to everyone you know after
Maryhelen wrote that she found it offensive, is rubbing salt into the wound I
think.

The point is that the joke HAS, unintentionally or not, given offence.  Would
it not therefore be so much nicer and in keeping with the nature of this group,
if an apology was made to a Maryhelen? Surely that is not asking too much?
After all, what is being defended? Not a deep religious belief or a major point
of principle, just a joke!

Most people are rightly proud of their people and background and this should -
MUST - be respected. I am sure that Maryhelen deserves and would accept a
simple apology saying that there was no slur against Mexicans intended and that
you understand her feelings.

I do hope that you will be big enough to do so.

Ernie.

Ernie Peters <[log in to unmask]>