Dark Skin Pigment Associated with Lower Risk For Parkinson’s Disease

TORONTO (April 22, 1999) – People with dark skin pigment may have a lower
risk for Parkinson’s disease, according to a study released during the
American Academy of Neurology 51st Annual Meeting, April 17-24 in Toronto.

The risk for Parkinson’s disease is cut in half for all people with dark
skin pigment, according to researchers. In a study of Caucasian and
African-American adults, researchers found this protective effect occurring
in both groups.

"We may have unlocked a clue to help determine the cause of Parkinson’s
disease," said neurologist and study author Caroline Tanner, MD, of the
Parkinson’s Institute in Sunnyvale, CA. "The more information we have about
the causes of Parkinson’s, the closer we are to finding ways to prevent the
disease."

Researchers studied 510 people recently diagnosed with Parkinson’s disease
and 540 who did not have the disease. Skin pigment was measured by
identifying the amount of melanin in the skin from the underside of each
person’s arm.

African-Americans with darker skin pigment have a 40 percent lower risk for
the disease. Caucasians with darker skin pigment have a 64 percent lower
risk for developing Parkinson’s.

"It’s impossible to determine who will or will not get the disease," said
Tanner. "We are simply saying that people with dark skin pigment, from any
ethnic background, may have a lower risk for the disease."

Researchers suggest that melanin in the skin may create a protective
barrier which prevents Parkinson’s-related toxins from entering the brain.
Research was supported by the National Institutes of Neurological Disorders
and Stroke. The study included researchers from the Parkinson’s Institute,
Stanford University and research division of Kaiser Permanente of Northern
California.

The American Academy of Neurology, an association of more than 15,000
neurologists and neuroscience professionals, is dedicated to improving
patient care through education and research.

1999 American Academy of Neurology
<http://www.aan.com/public/newsreleases/skinpigment.htm>

janet paterson - 52 now /41 dx /37 onset - [log in to unmask]
613/256/8340 - po box 171/almonte/ontario/k0a 1a0/canada

Scan some of My Past Posts at:
     http://www.newcountry.nu/pd/members/janet/index.htm
Mine the PD List Archives at:
     http://james.parkinsons.org.uk/
Cull Nine Million Pub-Med Medical Studies at:
     http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/PubMed/
Comb the 'People With Parkinson's' Web-Ring at:
     http://www.webring.org/cgi-bin/webring?ring=parkie;list