hey jerry

At 21:20 1999/04/29 -0500, you wrote in part:
>...That slice of pie, to me, represents my PD. I can
>approach the chance for a cure by either sitting here,
>paranoid about being ripped off, or educating myself
>about who is doing what and giving my full support to
>the PD org that I feel has the best chance of solving
>my problem.
>
>I'm only 55 (senior discount at Denny's!!). If someone
>finds a cure in the next 5 years, I have a real chance
>of enjoying myself before I die. I can get out of this
>damn chair and go back to living the way I want, not
>the way PD dictates...

you can enjoy yourself before you die
without waiting for a cure for pd

pd isn't 'dictating'
life is
life always has
and life always will

i have no control over life

i can acknowledge that humbly and with grace
or i can rant and rave over what i see as 'spilled milk'

waiting for a cure is a self made obstruction
it's all a matter of perception
as far as i can tell

who do you love? spouse, children, grandchildren?
can you not still love them?
can they not still love you?

>...Every time this list gets involved in this discussion
>it turns out that someone has something negative to say
>about every PD org in existence. They refuse to back
>one because some executive embezzled money, they didn't
>like the president of another, some org slighted
>someone, and we end up blacklisting all of them...

yes we complain when we see something we feel is significant
why not?
how else to urge for improvement?

however, we do not 'end up blacklisting all of them'
we are not sheep

>So no money is donated, we have no seed money for grant
>proposals, we have no funding for research, the NIH
>spends all their money on other types of neurological
>problems and, because of our lack of support, a PD cure
>remains a dream. ...

not true, in my humble opinion
this seems to me like an awfulizing type of generalization

>Essential Tremors will probably be
>cured, maybe spinal cord injuries become a thing of the
>past and I will be sitting here 5 years from now,
>shaking worse than I am, taking Sinemet every 2.16
>hours, because we didn't get up when we could, and help
>fund the research for PD...

ditto [see above]
added to which is an element of foretellling the future

which no-one can do
no matter how hard they try
or how much they want something

>And, before someone mentions it, yes, I am saying, "Me,
>me, me." I WANT A CURE FOR ME! If I want to eat
>blueberry pie then I had best help in the only way I
>can, by getting in the kitchen and help make it happen.

your circumstances have changed
'the only way you can' has changed
maybe a piece of boysenberry pie would satisfy just as well?

>I once had a lot of friends here.

you still do
me, for one

>This message will probably upset some of them. Good.
>This is MY opinion. If you don't agree I really don't
>care to hear about it...

how about
i don't agree with you
and your message hasn't upset me
and here i am telling you this anyway

>Instead of complaining, then YOU come up with some
>positive ways to funding research. YOU get out and
>raise money. YOU beat your head against the wall
>because folks on this list had rather resist and bitch
>and cry than be proactive...

yikes
another awfulizing generalization

hah!
you are complaining about other folks complaining...
do i see some irony here?

>Ask yourself, do you REALLY want a slice of the pie?
>What are YOU willing to do to get it?

just watch me

>...As for me, I'm tired of listening to all the moaning
>and complaining about how bad our lives are and how
>Oprah ignores us  the Pope won't bless us and some
>actor won't say anything to us. I've been with this
>list since the first day. Today, I am leaving. I've had
>all I can take from those who refuse to work, yet want
>all the rewards. The negative attitude that permeates
>this list does me no good. The anger I feel toward
>do-nothing complainers makes me shake worse.
>I'll be working for my pie while I still have a chance.

i have felt the same anger and the same frustration and have signed off too
but i came back

i hope you do too

much love

janet

janet paterson - 52 now /41 dx /37 onset - [log in to unmask]
613/256/8340 - po box 171/almonte/ontario/k0a 1a0/canada

Scan some of My Past Posts at:
     http://www.newcountry.nu/pd/members/janet/index.htm
Mine the PD List Archives at:
     http://james.parkinsons.org.uk/
Cull Nine Million Pub-Med Medical Studies at:
     http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/PubMed/
Comb the 'People With Parkinson's' Web-Ring at:
     http://www.webring.org/cgi-bin/webring?ring=parkie;list