Hi all.  My 2c worth....Well, I no longer direct the Computer-Assisted Writing
Centre, but a service we started 10 years ago is still going
strong--etutoring.  We have two *experienced* writing instructors (experienced
in both using computers and in giving feedback) who each work 10 hours a week
at home (on average; busy times it was more like 25 hours a week) , giving
feedback to students on their electornically transmitted essays (on any
topic--like the model of the Writing Workshop)--either through straight ascii
email, attachments, or on FirstCLass (our conferencing system).  They take the
text and add their comments (usually capped).

 There is no fancy software requirement (see Cathy's comments below);  money
is spent on a good computer and fast modem for them and on paying them for
their expertise.  It takes some time to figure out what works as feedback
on-line and what doesn't. I remember doing some late at night-- it certainly
focuses the mind on the task!

The tutors turned papers back within 36 hours; since they could work at home,
this was the trade-off to their promptness.  How this would work with peer
tutoring I don't know.
Mary-Louise