I'd just like to add that an up-front experimental mode can diffuse a lot of
potential anxieties and tensions related to the introduciton of new
technologies.  A pilot project that involves self-selected participants from
various institutional levels in not only launching but evaluating such a
program, that allows people to make mistakes and gives them an outlet for
their frustrations, not only makes people feel better but is more ethical.
Though I don't think the evaluation process should be viewed as a panacea; I
think it's imperative, that results should be published, and should ideally
loop back into future software design or at least implimentation.  Another
reason to start of simple I guess.  The worst case sceneario would be to
accomodate practice to inadequate software merely because of the investment.