Hi Tania,

Did you get my greetings via Paula Foster?  Various lists seem to be quiet
these days.  I'm sure it's the end of term or after end of term lull. But
I'll give you something to chew on.  One particularly interesting aspect of
Inkshed for me is the Canadian/American connection/tensions etc.  I first
heard of Inkshed through a Penn State, American, Jack Selzer, who couldn't
say enough about his Canadian pals especially Anthony Pare.  People like
Andrea Lunsford, Marcy Bauman, and Roger Graves keep this cross-over
connection alive as do our annual meetings at the four C's.  Being
intellectually raised in Canada I appreciate the cultural resistance to
things American on the list and in writing programs etc., and think it can
be very productive, but being pedagogically trained in the States I also
have real sympathies with composition as it is practiced here.  Sometimes,
however, I think there are unecessary tensions, or that the "we're not like
those Americans" attitude veils various intrinsically Canadian
issues/challenges.  Ideally, I'd like to see Canadian and American
compositionsts take the best from each side of the border without feeling
the need to justify their own way of doing things. Certainly pedagogical
practices have evlolved differently in different regions, north, south,
east, west, gradually and I'm sure somewhat hap-hazzardly--why would anyone
feel the need to justify anything?  What interests me most in fact is the
rich variety of approaches to writing instruction in Canada--the pedagogical
mosaic--what fertile ground for academic research and institutional growth!
Why can't we just look a head, have ideals, and strive to realize them to as
great an extent as possible, given the very serious and real institutional
constraints we all face every day?  Sadly though, I often feel like an
outsider--a traitor almost.  Why is that?  If we were studying in Britian or
France, would things be different?  I thought the point of going abroad for
an education was to bring different ideas back home, but my experience seems
to have severed me from my Canadian roots.  I don't feel quite welcome
sometimes, and other times I'm not sure that I have that much to offer
teaching rhetoric and/or composition in institutional contexts that may be
radically different from the ones I've taught in for the last seven years,
and almost hostile to the cultural contexts of my graduate education.  I'll
even go so far as to say that I'm not sure if my academic accomplishments
and credentials would be fully recognized by Canadian institutions.  Why is
that? A pointed queery, I know, but one I think worth making.