"As your enthnographer..."  I really like that.  SOunds like, "As your
bartender, here's what I think..."

Seriously, I wouldn't worry if this list goes dark from time to time.
Historically it's always been prone to long flurries of postings sparked
by somebody who asks a particularly interesting question, followed by
silences as people try to catch up on their marking.  I really don't
think it's you.

As for your specific request for information -- I suspect that the
chattier of us have already answered that request the first time around,
leaving only the less chatty (or maybe the ones who are feeling even
more pressured) to respond to the latest round.  I think I thought of
your request as same-again and didn't respond, but reading it again I
see that it is not just about the list as your previous one was, but
about larger issues within Inkshed.  I'll try to respond to these larger
issues in another post.  (Could you repost your original request--it
seems to have gone done the gravity well of my e-mail file.)

My impression from anyone I've talked with about this over a beer is
that most people are quite interested in your project, willing to help,
and interesting in seeing ourselves as others see us.  Speaking for
myself, I'm quite resigned to the fact that nobody is likely to paint a
picture that exactly matches my own representation.  I appreciate the
opportunity you've extended to correct any errors of basic fact, but as
for the exact shade and hue ofthe representation -- well, that's up for
grabs.

You've put yourself in an awkward position of being insider/outsider,
with enough personal investment to make so-called "objective"
ethnography really difgficult.  I admire your courage in doing so.
Don't let it get to you or dull your ethnographer's edge too much.
We're by and large a friendly lot, quick to forget even our own
appointment schedules, let alone an imagined slight by an ethnographer.
If you make your results available I'll be as quick as anyone to say,
"That's not how _I_ remember it!"  but you'll just have to take that as
the price of doing business in the world of ethnography.  I for one
promise not to take it personally and am impressed with the painstaking
care you have taken to get it as right as you can.  Any more care would
gut the ethnography and make it a group autobiography.

Write us up, Tanya!

--
Doug Brent
Co-ordinator, Undergraduate Program in Communications Studies