>  I'll
> even go so far as to say that I'm not sure if my academic accomplishments
> and credentials would be fully recognized by Canadian institutions.  Why is
> that? A pointed queery, I know, but one I think worth making.
Christine, I'll go so far as to say I AM sure your academic
accomplishments will NOT be fully recognized by most Canadian
institutions.  Even for someone like me who has a traditional lit.
degree, I'm aware that my experience with WAC is not going to be
recognized most places that I look in this country.  The oddest thing is
that it is well recognized in Engineering (as it might be in business
school) but certainly disregarded by "English" departments.  I felt this
acutely at ACCUTE last year where I was asked to speak about Teaching
Writing on a panel somewhat self-indulgently titled "The Future of
English Studies and the Public Good".  That panel presentation was
singularly the most depressing presentation I've ever done.  The climate
in the room was antarctic. The traditionalists and theoretical
obscurantists were out in full force.  I had to conclude that English
studies had no future, or at least that it was irrelevant to the public
good.

I hope the climate is changing.  I see the words "rhetoric and
composition" appear in more ads for jobs, but I'm not convinced that
most departments would recognize what those terms meant if they stumbled
over them in the dictionary.

Now that you're thoroughly depressed ....

regards,
Rob