Dear Mike,

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you.  Bodily humor sounds like an
interesting topic -- certainly one that's relevant to the cycle plays.   My
own work is focused on the York "Christ before Herod."  Mankind is probably
the most relevant text, but I expect you know that.

You might take a look at the Jacobelli book (Il Risus Pascchalis e il
fondimento del piacere sessuale), which has reference to some medieval
sources, unfortunately none of them English.  But one needs to treat the
book carefully, as Jacobelli doesn't read Latin well and makes some glaring
mistakes; also she wants everything to concern "piacere sessuale" and
overinterprets, indeed misinterprets, the Oecolampadius material.

I'd love to find some reference to the risus paschalis tradition in
England, but so far have come up empty handed.  Do you know of any
references to bodily humor in the English preaching tradition?

Michael