A few days ago, I sent the post below to Rita Weeks.

>Dear Rita---what a sad and infuriating story!  Thanks for tjhe
>"heads-up"again. I plan to chaeck on the >regs that are in effect here in
>Ohio. Hope ohers will do the same for their states.  Seems we should >be
>smart enough to balance general safety concens with individual needs.....

Today I talked with a head nurse at a local (OHIO) NH and this was what she
said:

The state and federal regs "discourage" the use of any kind of restrain.
BUT  if they have an order from the doctor, and have done a careful
INDIVIDUAL assessment of the patient, tried different types of chairs,
etc., and the person would still fall out, they  have enough documentation
to be able to  use "a positioning device"  appropriate to that patient, and
are allowed to do so.  She was shocked that Rita's mother would be at risk
of falling from her wheelchair and nothing could be done.

Perhaps this info will help Rita and others to advocate more
effectively--if the feds allow it in Ohio under those circumstances, why
not elsewhere????

       Camilla Flintermann,                             <[log in to unmask]>

 http://www.newcountry.nu/pd/members/camilla/one.htm  My Home Page

             "  Knowing when to insist, and when to let be,
               is,perhaps, a lifetime learning experience  ."
                              --Mary McCurry