Mary -

Thank you for including me in  your list of PD "Independents/Mavericks."
However, while I consider both appellations very positive, I do (and have)
belonged to various PD organizations.  I was a member of the Alliance,
until I resigned, have supported PAN, and am active with our AZ APDA
Chapter.

But most important, Mary, I am an ARIZONAN, not a Texan!!!!!  I was
privileged to vote for Mo Udall from the early 70s into the 90s, and have
been in touch with Senator McCain's staff, even the senator himself, a few
times during the campaign to pass the act which carries Mo's name.

Your analysis of who, what and where we are, as a "community" of
individuals and organizations, is accurate, if not a tad upbeat. But of all
that you say, I believe, your encouragement to "newcomers" to become
involved in our cause, early on, is most important.  We do need their new
enthusiasm.  We need the fresh honesty and very natural naivete they can
bring to the issues that confront and confound our community, not the least
of which is organizational distrust, dislike, disengagement and,
consequently, disunity.  We tried, through the Alliance, to bring to the
national organizations a unity of purpose, if not a friendship, and an
understanding and working relationship, if not an affection and a marriage.
We failed.

Which is not to say a "next effort" will fail!  (I am delighted to read
Margaret Tuchman's "let's go for it" comment.)

Anyway, to all "newcomers," jump in wherever you can find a fit that feels
good.   Bring whatever amount of time and energy you have!  There are a lot
of directions for each of us to pursue: Working for the research dollar,
providing outreach, education  and care locally - many avenues are open.
Find one that interests you, and go for it!

And, ask questions, make suggestions.  Never be reticent because you fear
something you say might sound "dumb."  In this arena, the only "dumb" idea
is one not expressed.

                                Bob Dolezal